Romance is not just for the young

ADSHG
  • The ADSHG was the happy recipient of a generous donation following Veronica and John's marriage. Proving you are never too old for love, Veronica tells of their "elopement".

My (then) fiancé, John, and I were having problems in finding a suitable venue for our forthcoming wedding. A chance remark from a couple (our age) we met on holiday, who said they were married at Gretna Green, prompted me to look on line.

There were several options but we decided a converted farm with mill and forge about five miles from the border and three miles from Gretna would be the ideal place for our “elopement” in June 2017. Even though we were 67 & 73!

It proved to be an excellent choice. We were married in the Old Forge, which had been converted into a beautiful candle-lit chapel. It was very romantic.

There were just the two of us and John’s nephew and niece-in-law, who kindly made the long journey up to Scotland to be our witnesses.

Wedding.jpg

Afterwards, our friendly photographer took many photos in the beautiful landscaped gardens before our wedding breakfast was served, freshly cooked and delicious. It was a day to remember forever.

John and I were widowed in 2010, having cared for our former spouses for several years. As we had two households before getting together, we did not need any wedding presents. Instead we suggested donations to two charities, one of them being ADSHG, as I was diagnosed with Addison’s in 2006.

We are delighted to say that a sizeable cheque was passed to ADSHG recently. This was raised following my Hen Party Supper, a Tea Party for local friends in our Northamptonshire village and Sunday Lunch at a local restaurant for our familes to celebrate our marriage. 

Veronica

This article was first published in the December 2017 edition of the ADSHG newsletter.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this website you are consenting to the use of cookies. Details about their use and how you can adjust your cookie settings are described in our cookie statement.