Garstang Gallop

GDPR-Redacted
  • On a gloriously sunny spring morning in March, 147 runners ran the Garstang Gallop seven-mile road race, around an undulating course with lovely scenery. With all proceeds from the entry fees going to ADSHG. Thank you to Garstang Running Club, particularly to Jack Billingham and fiance Amie McAvoy for nominating our charity and for organising the race.

Back at the clubhouse, we had an ADSHG table with banner, Sue's cookery books and cakes to sell to the hungry runners. Phoebe (of our our Addison's mums) kindly baked and helped to staff the stall, as did my mum. Stephen (a work colleague of mine who also has Addison's) and his fiancee Maria baked some lovely cakes and also helped to look after the stall. We had many visitors to the stall for cakes and for information about Addison's disease, including a runner whose wife had Addison's (as well as Type 1 diabetes), a lady who is involved in teaching nurses at University of Central Lancashire (UCLAN) and someone who is writing a thesis on endocrine problems.

Four of us ran the race with ADSHG vests on: myself, Jon (Phoebe's husband), Richard (dad of another of our teens with Addison's) and one more runner. I was asked about Addison's a couple of times en route and I breathlessly tried to explain the condition suggesting they come to the stand for a chat when I'd got my breath back! Jack's mum, Jen, who also has Addison's, was involved with marshalling the race, wearing a fluorescent jacket mid-way round the course.

The race organisers asked Jack and I to present the prizes, which was an honour. This was a great opportunity to raise funds and awareness for ADSHG. Thank you again, Garstang Running Club.

garstang gallop 3 (1).jpg

Taken from the June 2018 newsletter, Jack's mum, Jen gives her account of a very successful event:

Sunday 25 March was a dry, bright day and 147 runners faced the Garstang Gallop. The route is not for the faint hearted –over seven undulating miles of Lancashire countryside. As a marshal, I was ideally placed to see the physical effort it took and the good spirit that prevailed.

Garstang Running Club are a successful, competitive team who annually host a fund-raising event in aid of a range of charities. This year they chose ADSHG; a member, my son Jack Billingham, has Addison's.

The preparation for such an event is tremendous. Producing and distributing entry forms, seeking sponsors e.g. for bottled water, finding marshals and officials and filling goodie bags, to name but a few. It was heart-warming to see the efforts made. I would like to thank the club secretary, Jack's fiancée, Amie, especially, as she coordinated everything and worked so hard to promote the event.

The ADSHG hosted a stall in the club house which attracted much interest – or was the real attraction the delicious cakes for sale on the table, so kindly provided by ADSHG members? 

Thanks also to the ladies from the local branch of the charity CRY, who volunteered to staff the kitchen. They provided hot drinks, cakes, and bacon buns to die for! I understand they raised £350 towards the grand total.

Some families who are ADSHG members came to support us and it was good to meet 13 year old Molly, who had never met another person with Addison's. I think there were five of us present at one time.

Everyone completed the race; the winner was Joseph Monk of Lancaster University. The race prizes were presented by my son Jack and Helen Dawson-Smith of ADSHG, who not only organised the cake and information stall, but also ran the race. Included in the goodie bags were medals, awareness bracelets and Addison's information leaflets which were well received.

The grand total raised was just over £1000. Thank you to all who contributed towards the success of the event. Your efforts on our behalf are greatly appreciated. 

Jen

ADSHG adheres to the Code of Fundraising Practice and is registered with the Fundraising Regulator.

FR_RegLogo_LR.jpg

Edited by mweeks

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this website you are consenting to the use of cookies. Details about their use and how you can adjust your cookie settings are described in our cookie statement.