Autumn 2016 fundraising events

ADSHG
  • Featuring in the December 2016 newsletter, this article reports some of the various fundraising activities that our members and supporters have undertaken to raise both funds and awareness.

Great bake sale

When Ally Mangan was diagnosed with Addison’s, her 13-year old daughter Grace decided to hold a bake sale, “so other people can see how it affects your life, mum". The great bake event took place during the October half-term in Ally’s office, at the invitation of her employer, and was a sell-out success.

A number of people also offered generous donations to Ally and Grace’s JustGiving appeal, so that Grace raised over £1,200 in total. What a wonderful way to respond to her mum’s diagnosis.

Sandman triathlon

59fb456dc0ecb_December2016Sandman1.jpg.051cef3383d348a8b573add532bf871f.jpg

Richard McQuilton-Morgan with his family ahead of the Sandman triathlon

At 09:34:30, I stood in the pen with about 100 other people, waiting for the horn to sound and felt overwhelmed by the enormity of the task in front of me. That was the first time I was nervous about the whole thing. The last 30 seconds flew by and I soon found myself running towards the sea.

No amount of open water swimming prepared me for this baptism of fire, crashing waves and swells that reached about 4 feet. Mouthful after mouthful of sea water made me sick; only another 975 metres to go. It wasn’t long before I was sick again after another barrage of sea water. Only about 875 metres to go.

Even though I was less than 50 metres from the beach I was tired, cold, and just couldn’t swim anymore – the current was taking me back out and no matter how hard I tried I just could not break through that invisible barrier. This was the one point in the swim that I thought I would not be able to carry on, I just quit. That is it, I was defeated and just stopped angry and upset. My feet fell and were stopped by the sand, I had done it and started wading to the beach. Here I go, I am off again.

59fb460f9c4d9_December2016Sandman2.jpg.4a8037d52697da34e88c693056713835.jpg

Richard finishing the Sandman sea swim

The bike leg was fantastic, this was a non-drafting race, other people were penalised for it. I was out on my own so it didn’t bother me. The Sandman must be a focal point in the calendar for Anglesey; many people were stood outside their doors, sat on pavements and even in lay-bys shouting and cheering everyone on. The scenery on the route, too, was stunning. Looking at my watch, I was on target for under 4 hours, I was very happy.

The trail run takes place in Newborough Forest, so you will be thinking a bit on sand and the rest through the trees with soil and stones underfoot, but you would be wrong. This must be the only forest in the world where trees grow on sand. Not being prepared for this, I was about 10 minutes off my normal 10K pace.

Running around the last corner, hoping to see 13:35 (or before) which would make me a very happy man indeed, 13:40 on the time (not happy). However, the best part of the event was the fact that I was able to run over the finish line with my daughters. (I cried and didn’t get DQ’d for it – the girls crossing the line with me, not the crying).

I cannot stress how important the ADSHG charity is, and how much they have helped us since Molly’s diagnosis in February. They have been amazing to us and I feel that raising funds and awareness for this rare condition has in some way returned their kindness.

A massive “thank you” to everyone who has sponsored me, the total has far exceeded my expectations.

Richard (Molly’s dad)

Great Birmingham Run

Alex.jpg.18cd5eed6bbcbea87c22b97fb9555f6f.jpg

Alex and Tristan Hambleyon after breezing round the Birmingham half Great Run course

We had three runners lined up in the Great Birmingham Run in aid of the ADSHG – Tristan and Alex, whose father has Addison’s, and Alick, whose wife has Addison’s. Alex lives in Gothenberg, Sweden and made a special flying visit to join his London-based brother Tristan on the course. This half marathon is one of the newest events in the Great Run series, and a relaxed, less crowded field. A damp morning gave way to mellow autumn sunshine; all three of our runners got round the course in polished times, encouraged on their way by live “bands on the run” and by the eager spectators lining the course. Between them, they raised over £2,500 for the ADSHG.

Alick.jpg.4b393b4177a507ddc958ee92d2edaf2e.jpg

Alick Mackay after finishing the Birmingham half Great Run

First published in the December 2016 edition of the ADSHG newsletter.

Important Information

By using this website you are consenting to the use of cookies. Details about their use and how you can adjust your cookie settings are described in our cookie statement.