Leaving a gift in your will

ADSHG
  • Anyone who is considering leaving a gift in their will is likely to have questions about it. Below we’ve addressed some of the most common ones we’re asked, but you can always contact us by emailing donations@addisons.org.uk if others come to mind.

How will my family feel about me leaving a gift in my will to Addison’s?
Family and friends must come first when it comes to ensuring their needs are met and it’s usually a good idea to let them know about your wishes. Once they’re all looked after, you may find family members would be proud for you to leave a legacy to charity, as a way to remember the causes closest to you.

What are the different options to leave a gift in my will?
The two main options for a legacy are:

• Residual legacy A residual legacy is a gift of the remainder of your estate after all other gifts have been made and any debts cleared. This type of legacy can be expressed as a proportion of your residual estate, where there is more than one charity you wish to support.
  • Pecuniary legacy This is the gift of a fixed sum of money in your will. If you decide to leave a fixed sum, it is worth considering whether to include a clause allowing for inflation adjustments over time.

Is it worth leaving just a small amount or percentage of my estate to charity?
As a rare disease charity, ADSHG is used to making the most of limited income, and even a small gift can make it possible for the charity to produce a new educational video module or distribute a new piece of literature at a medical conference. You don’t have to be wealthy to make a contribution that can make a difference. Even a small percentage of your estate could change the life of a person with Addison’s by contributing to raised medical awareness.

I want to make a gift in my will to ADSHG, how do I go about this?
Making or changing your will can be straightforward; it is advisable do this through a solicitor to ensure that everything is legally correct. If you would prefer to make your own will, it is usually a good idea to then have it checked by a solicitor.

You can alter an existing will by adding a codicil, or make a new will and choose the type of donation you want to make. You must clearly identify the charity as the beneficiary of your gift, so need to provide your solicitor with ADSHG’s registered details and ensure these are clearly recorded in your will. These are:

• Charity name:  Addison’s Disease Self-Help Group
  • Registered charity number:  1106791
  • Charity address:  PO Box 1083, Guildford GU1 9HX

A solicitor will need to know the formal registration details of the charity, so for example a residuary legacy might say:
‘I give the (percentage, in words) of the residue of my estate to Addison’s Disease Self-Help Group, registered charity 1106791, PO Box 1083, Guildford GU1 9HX, to be used for its general and charitable purposes.’

All donations, whether made in a codicil or through a new will, should be followed with this statement:
‘I direct that the receipt of the Treasurer or duly authorised officer shall be a valid and appropriate form of discharge.’

What do I need to do to ensure my will or a codicil is legally valid?
The will and any codicil must be signed by you in the presence of two witnesses. For a codicil, the two witnesses must also sign the codicil and it must state their full names and addresses. These witnesses must not be a beneficiary or a spouse of your beneficiary in the codicil. You can find more guidance about how to ensure your will is legally valid at Remember A Charity.

How do I find a solicitor?
Family and friends can usually recommend a solicitor convenient to you. You may prefer to use the network of professional advisors linked with ‘Remember a Charity’ who can assist anyone who is in the process of writing or updating their will. All advisors are either members of The Law Society, or meet the qualified will-writing practitioner definition. Many are also accredited by The Law Society’s Wills and Inheritance Quality Scheme. Please go to Remember A Charity for more information.

Thank you
ADSHG is very grateful to everyone who supports its work. The size of your gift is less important to us than knowing that you value and support what we do, to make the world a safer place for people with adrenal conditions. If you would like to consider other ways to make a donation towards ADSHG, please browse the information on the charity's Ways to give website page here, or get in touch on donations@addisons.org.uk

Memory Giving
ADSHG is a registered charity at Memory Giving, which is a giving website used by many funeral directors.

Fundraising regulator
ADSHG adheres to the Code of Fundraising Practice and is registered with the Fundraising Regulator.

image.png

Important Information

By using this website you are consenting to the use of cookies. Details about their use and how you can adjust your cookie settings are described in our cookie statement.