Addison's Disease Self-Help Group

Antibody test

crooney2

I am very keen to have the antibody test as I suspect that I may have had covid. This was before testing was available so I don’t know for certain. I have primary addison's disease and have been allowed by my employer to work from home from March until now. However, in September I will be expected to return to my full time teaching role in a large secondary school. Due to government guidance, I will have to move around the school between every lesson and teach up to five different classes of 32 children in small classrooms. Although I understand that a positive antibody test doesn’t guarantee that I won’t be reinfected, I do feel that it will make me feel less anxious. I will however follow advice about social distancing as much as is possible, wash hands constantly etc. I was advised by an endocrine nurse that I can ask my GP to arrange an antibody test but my GP surgery have said that I am not entitled as I don’t work for the NHS/care home and they don’t know if/when I will be.  

Edited by crooney2
nigel63

Hi,

I suspect that your GP surgery is correct that you are not entitled to a test but it seems a pity. Not only would the test make you feel less anxious but I think that data from people like yourself would provide a lot of data about transmission between young people in the unfortunate event that there was an outbreak at your school.

I hope you are keeping well.

Nigel

pjdimmo

Have you tried contacting your endo. I don't know if they can authorise a test but my friend, shielding, believes she has had covid-19, her consultant asked her if she would like an antibody test. So possibly!

No harm asking.

Regards - Pam

• Like 1
suep1954

Hi

Perhaps try looking at it from a different perspective.... what would an antibody test prove? 

If the result is negative.... It won't stop you wondering whether you've had CV but the antibodies are no longer present

....  or could it be a false negative? 

If the result is positive.... you will still be wondering how long the antibodies will stay active and do they give you any immunity? 

All questions no-one can answer because they simply don't know.

Like you, I'd love an antibody test but just out of curiosity.... I had a horrid virus at Christmas which lasted for several months... temperature, hacking dry cough.... 

Sue

• Like 1
artichoke1

I work in the NHS and have had the test. I have heard a lot of the test results are coming back negative, even for people who suspect they have had it and were quite ill with it. I don't understand the science but think the longer the gap between you having the virus and being tested the antibodies dwindle?? This might explain all the negative results.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
crooney2

Thanks all.

I am very aware of all of the uncertainty surrounding the test but a positive result would certainly make me feel less anxious. I find it frustrating that a neighbour who is 24, has no underlying health conditions and works full time from home for the NHS with no patient context ever has had the test but I’m going to be in a room for over an hour with 5 lots of 32 others in 5 weeks and can’t! 

Thanks for the advice about asking my endo consultant which I have done but he said I’ll have to ask my GP ago has already said he can’t authorise this. 

Hope you you are all well

Claire

alison63

Well we are just going to have to muddle through and see what happens. We could all be in lockdown again by then anyway. Most of us are out and about ,wearing our masks. I'm not happy tripping over holidaymakers here in Devon but I see no future in hiding indoors.

I read that no teacher in the entire world has caught Covid from a pupil. Why not start enjoying your life again and worry ,if necessary, about all this in September?

Alison

annelben

There's an app you can join where you report how you feel each day. If you say you have any symptoms they'll send you for a test. 

Anne

suep1954

Hi

I see there are now cases of people getting CV for the second time! Oh joy! 

Plus even some of those who've been on ventilators are testing negative for antibodies a few weeks later. 

The goalposts are changing all the time. 

Perhaps the best we can do is decide what we are each comfortable with, what's important to us and make our decisions accordingly.  Difficult times. 

Sue

• Like 1

I have had this antibody test but it didn’t work.

There is a COVID-19 app, provided by the NHS, that ask you daily if you have had any symptoms of the virus. There are things you can sign up to that allows you to have such things as antibody tests and to become A test subject to find a cure for COVID-19.

If you think you have COVID-19, they automatically send a test to you through the post then collect it the following day, even on a Sunday!

The app is called COVID-19 test study. It’s free to download and use and he will get regular updates.

If it finds that you do have COVID-19, it will report back to you within 48 hours whether it is positive or negative and then tell you exactly what to do.

I hope this helps, as we all need to fight against COVID-19 and help others.

Rob