Sign in to follow this  
gill hall

School teachers

gill hall

I am a teacher and I have Addison's, other autoimmune diseases, sticky blood, high blood pressure and I am overweight

I had a crisis in summer 2018 and it was scary-  I was awoken with several concerned doctors around me. I think they thought my heart was going to stop. It went down to 21. This was only hours after vomiting. I had a chest infection in Jan and my breathing was an issue and I had to go to the out of hours GP at 4am. I have been stringently social distancing with separate everything in my flat that I share with my son. Although it is not statutory for schools to open and our LEA have left the descision to Headteachers, our head is ready to go: he has a plan for 1st June which involves getting all yr 10 in: teaching 10 classes a day each made up of 15 kids and I teacher with a teacher who is a runner - checking all is OK now and again. He said staff will teach on rota in alphabetical order and he will be teaching every day. I'll be in the first round if I go in. We will have to teach 3x50 min lessons a day. I feel very pressured to go in as the head emailed us all and in the email says some staff have long term health conditions and are insisting they return to work and that he is very grateful. I don't know who they are or what their health issue is. I sent the head a doctors note saying I had to stringently social distance and work from home with quotes from the clinical advisory panel etc. I did not get a reply and on his risk assessment for people like me : " vulnerabl Part of me feels it's like there is a war on and I need to help educate the kids and I have to go back sometime but then I get terrified. I'd be glad to know if there are other teachers out there and what is happening to them.

suep1954

Hi Gill

What a worrying time for you. 

I know nothing about teaching but wondered in the first instance if you could go over the heads of the school and ask the local educatiin authority for advice on your legal obligations? 

Also, have you trawled through the Gov. UK site on the latest education proposals/requirements. That has pretty comprehensive info on most things coronavirus related. 

I'm sure it's obvious but have you sourced yourself a supply of good  masks? I know the advice generally is not to do this,  to  protect the NHS supplies, but in a way taking proactive steps to protect yourself (someone with a history of serious chest infection) IS protecting the NHS. 

The only other course I can suggest you take is to ask for a second opinion at the GP surgery.... or write a letter explaining fully all your reasons for consideration re the vulnerable list. 

Do let us know how you get on. 

Sue

susie e

I suggest that you speak to the head on the phone, having first taken advice from your union.  You should not be subject to the pressure/blackmail to go back when you have complex health issues to safeguard.

susie e

Gill, I have been thinking about you, and wanted to share some of my thoughts with you.  As I understand it, 'just' having an adrenal insufficiency condition does not markedly increase our chances of catching the virus, though we are likely to need extra hydrocortisone et al if we do, to help us fight it.  However, if some other serious condition or factor (in my case, age, at 75) is introduced, the need for protection is increased.  You have such another condition and a history of a serious incident so should be taking the extra precautions that you have been, as your GP has supported.  To expect you to move from that protection to being in the workplace is unreasonable, and I would expect your union to support you in that.  No-one can force you to return to work and to exert emotional pressure of 'others are doing it' is not ethical.  I imagine that you have been working on-line/remotely with students and colleagues, and perhaps you could offer to continue that, taking up some of the work of colleagues who will now be going in to school.  Maybe you could speak to your union and then phone the head since he has not replied to your email.  You could re-explain your position and offer to help in other ways.  Other people's decisions should have no impact on yours; they are not you and do not have your situation to contend with.  I hope you can manage this situation and remain safe.

• Like 3

esc4p3

Couldn't put it better than Susie and Sue already have. You should not feel pressured. If you are a union member, then get their help.

I know nothing about teaching either, but those people I know that are teachers have been working flat-out to provide online teaching content over these last weeks. So you are not saying you won't continue to do that, just that you can't do it in person in lessons.

• Like 2